Sunday, April 11, 2010

Treme "Do You Know What it Means?"

Despite or possibly because of its pedigree I was not particularly excited for Treme David Simon's HBO show that premiered tonight about post-Katrina New Orleans. After Season 5 of The Wire I read a lot of interviews with David Simon and one thing became abundantly clear; he wanted everyone to see his world view. The Wire's subtext was fairly overt, but as I read more interviews with Simon where he spelled out the show, I began to worry that he didn't think the subtext was overt enough. When I heard he would be doing a show about post-Katrina New Orleans I was very worried that he would rail against the incompetence of the managing of Katrina with the bitterness and bluntness of the newspaper arc in season 5 of The Wire.

Now that I have seen the pilot, I am able to reform my baseless speculation and I was very pleased with how it turned out. When reviewing Treme I will try to limit my Wire comparisons, but I am about to make one. Like The Wire Treme foregoes exposition in earlier episodes to maintain the shows verisimilitude. The lack of exposition did make the dialogue tough to follow at times, especially since the pilot was 90 minutes. It did require a lot of focus and it definitely could have been a little tighter. Given the depth of previous Simon shows it is possible that nothing was superflous, however right now we only know snippets about these characters and while longer arcs were set in motion to me the pilot felt a series of a vignettes. I doubt I would watch a series solely composed of vignettes in post-Katrina New Orleans, but I think it was a great idea for a pilot. The pilot felt like a series of urban legends and like all urban legends the truth is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if a DJ broke into Tower Records or an activist tried to throw a camera into the canal or a restaurant owner served a pre-packaged desert from her purse, what matters is we believe these things happened in this world. Once we believe the stories are true we are immersed into that world. Simon has once again managed to create a living breathing city and I trust that the rest will follow.

Stray Thoughts
- Tons of little stuff that was perfect or near perfect like having the characters speaking over the noise caused by passing-by helicopters as if they didn't' even notice it. This is especially jarring as an audience member who is accustomed to hearing the fluttering of helicopter blades almost solely in action movies.

- As someone who lives in a French speaking city I was very ashamed that I had been calling the show trem instead of tremay for the past 6 months.

-When season 5 of The Wire wasn't in HD I thought there was a chance it was because Simon was a luddite. I don't really care why Treme is in HD, but it is a welcome change.

-It was a shock to see Clarke Peters menacing scowl after growing so accustomed to the mild mannered Lester Freamon.

- Maybe the theme song will grow on me, but right now it feels like it would be more apt in Ethnic Mismatch Comedy 644.


No comments:

Post a Comment